by Oren Mizrahi, Director of Olim Medical by Gvahim
1. Choose a coach or a program like Olim Medical to get prepared for interviews. Even if you were an independent worker before Aliyah the probability to work for your own local business is quite small at least in the beginning few months. You will quickly learn that achieving an interview successfully is not trivial and that Israeli HMOs are quite afraid of hiring someone who didn’t work with a hierarchical organization for many years.
2. Be sure that your CV is 100% adapted to the Israeli standards. According to alljobs.com, an Israeli job board website, 80% of the employers are spending less than a minute to check a CV. You will certainly not have a second chance to prove that you are in the process of truly integrating in the Israeli society if your CV is not clear enough.
3. Get connected to professional networks. More than 75% of the recruitment in Israel are following cooptation formal/informal process.
4. Have in mind that the healthcare market is very small in Israel. l and all the stakeholders are connected. You should pay attention to each contact, each event and meetup you are participating and each Interview you are doing. Everyone is recruiting you a little bit even those who are only potential patients.
5. Initiate your diploma recognition process before Aliyah; it will help you to anticipate your “Alyah Case” and the budget you need before finding a stable position. Moreover, if you will apply a few months before Aliyah, when you show your official recognition documents to a potential employer, it will be substantial proof of your motivation.
6. Don’t ask your Israeli aunt to translate your documents. Choose a notary recommended by a professional from the same profession and speciality that already passed successfully the equivalences process. Do not forget to keep the original versions with you; send only the copies and the notary’s translated versions and keep a scan of everything.
7. Stay updated with the equivalence processes, rules for army enrolment, markets demands. The relevant info applicable when your former colleague made Aliyah might not be relevant today.
8. Assess your opportunities in the North or South of Israel: Many organizations are seeking for specialists in cities you didn’t think about. Remember that Israel is a small country. Choosing a place to work according to the impact of your contribution to the “local” economy could bring you more opportunities to (re)start a significant career in Israel.
9. A good Hebrew is the main key to success. You should begin an ulpan before Aliyah! Ask your Jewish Agency / NefeshBNefesh local desk for information and find the right solution according to your level and availabilities. Do not wait for the first days in Israel to seriously learn Hebrew.
10. If you are student, make sure to ask for some advice in Israel before choosing a residency speciality because in some few cases the recognition might be complicated.
How can Olim Medical help you?
Olim Medical is a unique and tailor made program for medical professionals wishing to make Aliyah. It provides an answer to the critical lack of skilled human capital in the healthcare sector in Israel by facilitating Aliyah and access to open positions all over Israel.
We receive a new request every 1.5 days in average. 600 persons contacted us and almost 400 physicians have already been assisted in their Aliyah process, mainly from France.
• Information conferences, trainings, study-trips and visits
• Effective assistance with degree recognition/the licensing process (pre and post-Aliyah) process by Israeli authorities
• Liaison with the Israeli administration and professional organization
• Placement support: guidance and HR consulting for finding a suitable job
• Mentorship & networking opportunities
• Access and introductions to our developed partnerships and working relationships with all the major hospitals and HSOs in Israel.
Olim Medical program is generously funded by The Adelis Foundation.
Program commitment fee: 450 NIS
Program real costs: about 3.300 NIS/participant
Why is it for French physicians only?
Because we do believe that each program member deserves a tailored service, adapted to his very specific case and taking in consideration the rules applicable for the country of origin. We are planning to progressively open the program to other regions and medical professions but can only be possible with important investments and research efforts to ensure a real qualitative service.
We will be happy to count you as a donor of our program (click here for more info).
Contact us: OlimMedical@gvahim.org.il